Border Information

If you have border crossing questions/issues please visit

or call
From outside the Canada call : (204) 983-3500 or (506) 636-5064
From within Canada call : 1-800-461-9999 (toll free)

Northwestern Ontario

Fort Francis Bridge : (807) 274-3655
Rainy River Bridge : (807) 852-3341
Pigeon River Bridge : (807) 964-2094

Identification Requirements

As of June 1, 2009 a passport, US Passport Card, NEXUS card or other approved document will be required if you are travelling by land or sea. A passport is not required for children 18 and under, but they do require proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. These changes apply to Canadians traveling to the US, and US visitors to Canada returning home. These are US government requirements to enter or re-enter the US.

You can find up to date travel information from the US Government at

Border Crossing Tips

  • Have your Identification documents at the ready
  • Have a list of alcohol and tobacco that you are bringing into Canada - when asked just hand the customs officer your list
  • straight forward and to the point
  • Be cooperative - try not to argue with the agent or amongst yourselves
  • Don't offer information if you are not asked